Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Let it shine

My sister had told me to "look for the light" when I went to the nursing home.  She said that when there is something to hide, it will be dark.  And in addition, to look for natural light, which is healing.

When I arrived, the young woman who showed me around was very nice.  I got to look at everything - except the kitchen, didn't really think to ask about that.  I got to see all the rooms - there are only about 40, it's a small place.  There are 2 wings on the building - and a courtyard in the middle - so that every room has a big window, and most are sliding glass doors, so there is lots of natural light available when the drapes are open.

So that takes care of the literal search for light.  My sister said I'd be able to "feel" if the place was right - or more specifically, I'd know if the place was WRONG. I didn't get a bad feeling about the place, so I figured that was a good place to start.  I spoke to Mom's friend who is there for rehab, and she spoke very highly of all aspects of it.

And I saw light in the smiles and attitudes of the staff I met, at least on that first day - and with some of them, that continued.  "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine"  And they did.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment